Following Egypt’s semi-final victory over Cameroon in the AFCON semi-finals, the Egypt Pharaohs dominated conversation on Twitter as fans took to the platform to celebrate. With the possibility of Egypt’s eighth Africa Cup title in reach, fans have driven over 352K Tweets about the Pharaohs, celebrating every moment of the tournament, with 77K Tweets driven by the semi-final.
Football fans across the world have turned to Twitter to follow the tournament, keeping track of favorite teams and players alike, with over 8.8M Tweets shared around AFCON 2021 to date. Through a data pull of Tweets, hashtags and handles, Twitter is highlighting the key moments that have driven the public conversation during Egypt’s battle to the podium.
The most used 2022 AFCON hashtags in Egypt
The most mentioned Egyptian players
- Mohamed Salah (@mosalah)
- Mahmoud Trezeguet (@Trezeguet)
- Ayman Ashraf (@aymanashraf)
- Mohamed el Shenawy (@melshenawy)
- Tarek Hamed (@TarrekHameed)
The most tweeted Egypt matches
- Egypt vs Cameroon (February 3rd, 2022)
- Egypt vs Morocco (January 30th, 2022)
- Egypt vs Nigeria (January 11th, 2022)
- Egypt vs Guinea-Bissau (January 15th, 2022)
- Egypt vs Sudan (January 19th, 2022)
Most engaged Tweets and moments
- Gabaski’s incredible performance in the penalty shoot-out of the semi-finals.
- Mo Salah’s assist during extra time in the game against Morocco.
- Gabaski’s penalty save of Eric Bailly’s effort in the third round of spot-kicks during the Ivory Coast match.
- Journalist Moataz Sayed (@wezafabregas) cheeky Quote Tweet of Mbappé’s Tweet insisting that Achraf Hakimi is the best right wing-back in the world with “in Ahmed Fattoh’s pocket”.
- Mo Salah’s assist for Trezeguet to complete Egypt’s major comeback during extra time in the game against Morocco, which qualified Egypt for the semi-finals.
- Gabaski’s save during penalty shootouts at the end of the match against Ivory Coast, which saw Mo Salah and Gabaski hailed as the day’s dynamic duo.
With fans at the edge of their seats in the lead up to the AFCON 2021 final between Egypt and Senegal on Sunday, 6th February, people can tune in to a dedicated event page, which will help people follow the action through real-time updates. Keep an eye on Twitter MENA (@TwitterMENA) who will be Tweeting the event page with its followers.
People can also share their excitement through hashtag triggered emojis, with #TeamEgypt unlocking the Egyptian flag , and #TotalEnergiesAFCON2021 unlocking the AFCON trophy .