In an exciting development for Cairo’s public transportation, Minister of Local Development Hisham Amna, Minister of Military Production Mohamed Salah Eldin Mostafa, and Cairo Governor Khaled Abdel-Aal recently witnessed the signing of a groundbreaking joint agreement.
This agreement marks a significant step towards a more efficient and eco-friendly public transport system in the bustling city.
1. Prepaid Ticket System Implementation
The joint agreement aims to introduce a prepaid ticket system for the Public Transport Authority’s buses in Cairo.
- The prepaid ticket system will streamline the ticketing process, making it more convenient and efficient for commuters. Passengers will be able to purchase tickets in advance, reducing waiting times at bus stops and ensuring a seamless travel experience.
2. Transition to Eco-Friendly Buses
The Public Transport Authority will convert its current diesel-powered bus fleet to run on natural gas and electricity.
- By transitioning to eco-friendly buses, the Public Transport Authority is taking a significant step towards reducing harmful emissions and promoting sustainability. This move aligns with global efforts to combat climate change and create a greener, more environmentally responsible transportation system.
3. Procurement of New Buses
As part of the development plans, the authorities will acquire new buses to augment the existing fleet.
- The addition of new buses will help improve the overall efficiency and capacity of the public transport system. These new vehicles will offer a more comfortable and reliable commuting experience for passengers.
4. Establishment of Natural Gas Stations and Electric Chargers
The plan includes setting up a network of natural gas stations and electric chargers to support the operation of eco-friendly buses.
- Establishing the necessary infrastructure for natural gas and electric charging stations will ensure a smooth transition to the new environmentally friendly buses. This move reinforces the commitment to sustainability and green practices in public transportation.
5. Automation of Ticketing Process
The joint agreement involves the creation and operation of a software package to automate ticketing, replacing traditional paper tickets.
- By automating the ticketing process, the Public Transport Authority aims to improve accuracy and efficiency. This digital transformation will also facilitate better revenue control and oversight, enhancing the overall financial management of the public transport system.
6. Smartphone Application for Commuters
A dedicated smartphone application will be developed to provide commuters with information on bus schedules and routes.
- The smartphone app will empower commuters with real-time information, helping them plan their journeys more effectively. It promotes transparency and fosters a stronger connection between the public transport authority and its users.
7. Web Page for Special Offers
A web page will be launched to publish special offers and promotions for Public Transport Authority trips.
- By offering special deals and promotions, the Public Transport Authority aims to incentivize the use of public transportation, attracting more riders and reducing reliance on private vehicles.
This joint agreement represents a major leap forward in modernizing Cairo’s public transport system. The implementation of a prepaid ticket system, eco-friendly buses, and technological advancements will undoubtedly improve the overall commuting experience for citizens and visitors alike. Moreover, it demonstrates the city’s commitment to sustainability, ensuring a greener and more accessible future for Cairo’s transportation landscape.